Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Lower beach hunting

The wet sand is the first place I always test a new metal detector, it has to be because I predominantly beach and water hunt. 
I need a metal detector that will run smoothly on the lower beach with water rushing over the search coil and one that can handle the transition from the dry to wet sand. 
There are two easy ways to search the wet sand, from the dry sand to the water or search paralel to the water, either way will get the job done so its a matter of preference.
I prefer to work from the dry sand to the water using a tight W search pattern as I steadily move along a beach, depending how wide the beach is and of course the tide time. 
This helps me to avoid unknowingly walking away from a good area, as I have found too many nice pieces of gold in areas just above or below the line another beach hunter has walked in a straight line before fading into the distance.
I like to mole around in areas, covering the sand around me instead of trying to cover the whole beach.
This morning I hit a local tourist beach for a couple of hours at high tide, as expected I did not see many other people metal detecting as it was high tide and no "Its all in the water" type person would be anywhere near a beach until at least two hours before low tide.
During my high tide beach hunt I recovered several pieces of gold and silver jewelry in the wet sand, a lot of stuff probably washed in on the rough surf just waiting to be detected.
I use a scoop and dump method searching on the lower beach at high tide, meaning I scoop recheck the hole and dump my scoop basket higher up on the beach when I know the target is probably in my scoop basket.
This insures I do not have to worry about waves washing over jewelry or coins I have dumped and washing them back into the water.
If like me you fancy your jewelry hunting chances in the wet sand, there is no need for super large search coils or super deep metal detectors.
Far from it, you need a metal detector that can handle the wet sand and water and use a little discrimination as there is no need to waste time digging shallow junk just like there is no need to waste time digging deep junk at tourist type beaches.
Headphones are important when lower beach hunting, windy days and rough surf can make hearing signals difficult without headphones.
I have a custom pair of headphones for my Minelab CTX 3030 to help me deal with the extra noise on the lower beach, I actually pretend they are better than they really are when people ask me questions.
He is wearing headphones and cant hear you, I often hear people saying as I avoid eye contact.
Hey every minute wasted at the beach yapping is a minute further away from potentially detecting something good.
The lower beach is also the only place that is constantly changing because of two low and two high tides so you are often the first person searching a changed area of the beach.
The wet sand on the lower beach is where you learn your pinpointing and target recovery skills, especially if you want to venture into the water with a metal detector. 
It is also the place a beach hunter will really get to know what a metal detector can and cannot do.


I know what my metal detectors can and cannot do at the beach because I am constantly testing them on the lower beach proving ground.
Targets can be shallow or deep closer to the water and relatively shallow towards the high tide line, so it is always best to play the percentages by making sure you are set up to detect a wide variety of targets at average depths.
Searching on the lower beach, can you handle it? 







No comments:

Post a Comment