Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 8, 2017

Finding a needle in a haystack

Recently I found a thin sewing needle while detecting with the Minelab CTX 3030 and 11 inch search coil, pretty damn impressive if I do say so myself.
A few years ago I found a sewing needle on a Treasure Coast beach, which is probably more difficult than finding a needle in a proverbial haystack. 
The two finds spoke volumes for the metal detector I was using and the way I had it set up.
Of course sweep speed and search technique played into it, but setting up and knowing what your metal detector is telling you is the key to detecting little stuff at the beach.
Everyone likes and wants the big stuff, but if your not detecting small stuff you probably have not got your metal detector set up correctly. 
I'm a firm believer that detecting small thin targets at the beach is important.
Anyone can detect a coin or a chunky gold wedding band, not everyone can find a thin platinum or gold engagement ring.
I find a good mix of jewelry every year, gold chains, rings and bracelets of all shapes and sizes.
This uncut emerald wrapped in a thin gold wire bale was scooped out of rough water several years ago, talk about firing on all water hunting cylinders.


If you detect diamond stud ear rings, tiny ear ring backs and small segments of fishing trace wire on a regular basis, welcome to the micro target beach and water hunting club.
One of the main reasons I use a mask and snorkel when water hunting is to help me recover tiny targets that fall through the 1/4 inch slots in my scoop basket. 
I carry a waterproof pin-pointer when beach hunting to help me recover detected tiny targets faster. 
Detecting small stuff at the beach has it advantages, small thin bands often hold the best diamonds !


Here are a few ways I detect and continue to detect small stuff at the beach.

1. Using the best equipment for the beaches I search.
2. Moving and sweeping my search coil slow low and level.
3. Using the bare minimum amount of Ferrous (Iron) rejection.
4. Searching small areas of the beach methodically and thoroughly. 
5. Relying on my ears, instead of a metal detector screen readout.
6. Never assuming good stuff can only be found at certain areas.
7. Relying on beach and people reading skills.
8. Testing and adding equipment that makes a difference at the sites I search.
9. Thinking like a beginner, free of any beach hunting restrictions.
10. Not giving away the locations I recover good stuff at.




No comments:

Post a Comment