Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Learning on the job

I recently took a couple of experienced beach treasure hunters for a full day lesson.
It was a new experience for me as most of the people I take for a lesson are just getting into the hobby of beach metal detecting.
It was an interesting day with two great guys who so reminded me of myself. 
For example, traveling to another beach they wanted to stop and scope out different places along the way. 
They also pointed out a few places they had success, maybe I would not do that lol but I was pleasantly surprised they tried and had success in the areas pointed out. 
Both of the hardcore guys had their own ways of beach hunting and I assume they are probably just going to add a few of my search techniques and metal detector settings. 
Driving home after the lesson, I was impressed by their work ethic putting in 10-12 hour metal detecting days, week in and week out. 
Although, I saw raised eyebrows when I told them a normal beach or water hunting shift for me was 2 to 3 hours. 
I am quite reclusive when it comes to beach or water hunting, unless its a metal detecting event or lesson, I rarely hang with other beach or water hunters.
The recent lesson with the full time beach treasure hunters, helped me focus on a couple of important things I always try to do at the beach, think like a beginner and stick to the basics.
Because these guys already knew the beach hunting basics,I probably skipped over these important parts of my own beach treasure hunting strategy. 
Beaches and especially tourist beaches are heavily pounded by people using metal detectors, so it pays to search areas a more experienced beach or water hunter would probably avoid.
It also pays to be patient and be one of the slowest people methodically searching a beach, especially if you find yourself searching a promising area.
I have always found a methodical slow and low sweeping motion prevents you from covering an area too quickly.
If you want to get your share of goodies at heavily hunted sites, you have to set yourself apart from the competition.
Technique and site selection are excellent ways of making sure you remain competitive, so too is knowing someone has probably recently searched the same area.
I never worry about the competition or what they may have already recovered from the beach, I just figure out a way to get my share. 
That usually involves thinking if the beach has been hit hard, where are the less appealing or hardest places to search, or areas that probably still hold good stuff on the edge of detection range.
Combine those factors with knowledge of your local beaches and you should be able to duke it out for finds at the most heavily hunted of beaches.






No comments:

Post a Comment