Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Collection areas at the beach

My last jewelry hunt was a productive one, finding a total of eight rings, five earrings and two pendants.
Only three gold rings, but thats an above average gold to silver or junk ring ratio.
Expect to find at least five or six silver or junk rings for every gold ring you find at a tourist beach.
The reason I chose the site, was because I had seen this eroded stretch of beach while filming previous videos in the area.
My guess is high surf probably prevented people from searching inside the water opposite the cut. 
In a previous video I said how the water opposite the cut could be the place to search when the surf settled down.
From experience, I can tell you that if a cut beach is void of targets, inside the water is usually  the place to search.
In my three hour shallow water hunt I could not take a sweep of my search coil without detecting a target. 
This is one of my favorite shallow water hunting situations, a collection area where coins and jewelry have been washed into.
This type of collection area is often more productive to a jewelry hunter than a coin line at the beach, as an eroded stretch of beach will often have an area with a ton of targets.
Jewelry hunting is often about learning how to find the site within the site, and knowing how to take advantage of that site by hammering it hard!
A few weeks ago I detected a similar collection area with stacks of lead fishing weights and came away with several gold rings, including an old gold and silver coin ring.
This video shows some of the finds that came out of the recently discovered collection area.
https://youtu.be/OPsQAsTgVLQ
Target rich areas are not always at the busiest beaches, you may run across an old beach entrance or site that used to be busy back in the day but is not now.
I like to learn and know the history of the beaches I search,  for example where beachside parking lots or hotels used to be, joining the detecting crowd fighting for sloppy seconds at heavily hunted sites is not my cup of tea.
When you find a productive collection area, search it for as long as you possibly can because you usually have a short jewelry hunting window.
The next day I checked the area out, increased overnight surf had covered the area with a thick carpet of sand. 
In my opinion, jewelry hunters should go home with aching arms from digging targets, not tired legs from trying to cover heavily hunted areas before the competition. 
Digging not walking, it should be obvious what action puts more gold in your finds pouch. 




No comments:

Post a Comment