Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Sweep speed with the Minelab CTX 3030

Rex asks what I consider to be the best sweep speed for the Minelab CTX 3030.
Being a beach and water hunter, my two favorite metal detectors for the job are the Minelab CTX 3030 and Minelab Excalibur, and no I do not work for Minelab they work for me lol!
The CTX 3030 can be swept a lot faster than than the Excalibur, but I would never recommend doing it as I still prefer to sweep the CTX 3030 search coil slowly, especially if I am using discrimination.
The reason why I recommend a slow sweep speed with the CTX 3030 is because it helps target ID, target recovery speed and target depth.
Sure you could whip the CTX 3030 search coil around really fast and still hit on large coins or rings, but you will probably miss small targets at depth or targets on the edge of detection range.
There are a lot of target ID bells and whistles on the CTX 3030, even the target depth indicator can be an advantage if you are looking for older targets.
A slow sweep speed gives your CTX 3030 time to interpret target information, relay and put that target information on your screen more accurately than it would swiftly sweeping your coil over an area.
You can cover more ground sweeping faster, but in my opinion beach and water hunting is not about covering an area quickly, its about covering an area well.
There are far more positives to sweeping a VLF metal detector search coil slowly, than whipping it around fast, especially a metal detector with multiple target ID features.
It makes sense to sweep your CTX 3030 as slowly as possible to get the very most out of those audio and visual target IDs.
I use a three second sweep speed with my CTX 3030, meaning the average time it takes for my search coil to travel from left to right, or right to left in front of me is three seconds.
Slow sweep speeds help slow down your detecting pace, which in turn automatically increases the amount of targets it is possible to detect.
Check out your foot prints in the sand, the closer your steps are, the more ground you are actually detecting over instead of walking over.
You can tell a lot about the beach hunting competition by their footprints, long strides usually mean fast sweep speeds and sloppy search techniques.
Sweep speed and ground coverage are closely linked, which is why I prefer to use a slow sweep speed with the CTX 3030.
Just in case there is another platinum and diamond ring like this one waiting on the edge of detection range.










No comments:

Post a Comment