Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Jewelry hunting tips

Robin from south Africa asked for my three favorite beach jewelry hunting tips, so here they are.

Beach knowledge

The more time you put into learning the dynamics of your local beach or beaches, the more jewelry you will detect.  A local beach hunter should have a big advantage over other people searching a beach for the first time, especially after high surf or a coastal storm has rearranged the beach. This is one of the reasons I rarely travel to detect, I know my local beaches like the back of my hand. I know what to look for and where to look for it in order for me to detect jewelry. If one beach looks iffy I can move to another and on to another if I need to. 
If you don't know why you cannot detect jewelry at your local beaches, you don't know your local beaches. 

Coverage

In my opinion, the less ground you cover the better. Divide beaches into sections and remember its not how much ground you cover, its how you cover the ground.
Step forward, slowly sweep your search coil and do not take another step until you have completed that sweep. That is how you walk off a beach knowing if jewelry was there you would have detected it.  

Silence 

Call me an old fashioned jewelry hunter, but I like finding jewelry and going back to the same productive sites and finding more. I hunt alone and never tell anyone where I find any piece of jewelry. I always get a chuckle out of hearing other beach hunters tales of jewelry found here or there, because if I know it everyone knows it.  Productive jewelry sites can and do produce jewelry for years, so if you put these three tips together you will detect more jewelry.

Beach knowledge, ground coverage and tight lips are a beach jewelry hunters friends. 








No comments:

Post a Comment