Total Pageviews

Monday, May 2, 2016

Multiple jewelry deposits at the beach

Casey in Massachusetts asked me why I often post multiple rings or chains on my Facebook posts, and the answer has a lot to do with the way the water effects the lower beach. 
I often refer to the lower beach as a giant sandy conveyor belt, because the lower beach reminds me of a push penny arcade game. 
The tides push and drags objects up and down the beach, but the water also helps to deposit objects of a similar size and weight into the same area. 
That is why you often find a lot of coins, rings, chains or bracelets in a small area.  
I actually hedge my jewelry hunting bets on finding more rings or chains, if I find one or more in the same general area.
This is another good reason why you should avoid being a long straight line type of searcher. 
If you find a ring or chain, you should always search for more in the immediate area because you may detect another ring close to the ring or chain you originally recovered. 
I often have multiple gold ring or gold chain hunts, because I am aware of the way the water helps to deposit similar groupings of desirable metal detecting targets. 
This is the reason why gold and lead are often found in the same small area, lead and gold are dense metals so they are likely to settle in the same general area. 
The three chains in this photo were recovered in a 6 x 6 foot area inside the water back in 2011.

Three straight targets,  turned out to be an 18K gold chain & cross and two silver chains. 
I took a one hour "liquid lunch" break, and these chains were recovered from a deep pocket of water close to shore. 
The next time you find a gold ring or a gold chain, see if it has any friends before moving away from the area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment