Total Pageviews

Monday, September 14, 2015

Discrimination by depth

Early Saturday morning I hit a south Florida beach that has several bars and restaurants opposite the beach. 
It is a beach that has been very good to me through the years and Saturday morning was no exception. 
By the condition of the flat gold necklace and the location it was found, I would say it was probably lost after the bars had closed. 
The gold necklace was an easy surface find and I saw part of it on top of the dry sand when I turned my headlamp on to scoop the target. 
On a heavily hunted beach, this is the type of area that is best covered quickly before the competition shows up.
My favorite way of covering a stretch of tourist beach quickly is by using the target depth indicator on my metal detector.
I discriminate by depth, stopping to scoop targets that my target depth readout indicate are six inches deep or shallower. 
My reasoning is that on heavily hunted beaches there are probably no deep targets, so why not concentrate on recovering good shallow targets.
For beach hunters who are obsessed with target depth, there are often just as many deep junk targets as shallow junk targets on a tourist beach.
Using the target depth indicator to cover ground faster, is the opposite to what many people do when searching parks for old silver coins, ignoring shallow targets and only digging deep target. 
I have done quite well before sunrise in the dry sand this year, searching for fresh dropped jewelry on tourist beaches. 
Mainly because I make the most of my limited beach hunting time, by concentrating my time and effort searching for shallow targets. 
I am not a box hunter, I mix things up and try different search techniques to suit the beach conditions. 
Many beach hunters, use the same search technique and search the same way every time they go to the beach. 
Change is good for a beach or water hunter,  it leads to unpredictable finds at the beach. 
While covering areas quickly is not one of my favorite beach hunting tips,  it can be a very effective jewelry hunting technique in the right situation. 
Opposite beach bars and nightclubs, it helps to know what you are looking for and how deep those intended targets are likely to be. 
Or you could stop and scoop every target on popular beaches and hope no other beach hunter puts their search coil over jewelry before you do.



No comments:

Post a Comment