Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Old faithful metal detectors

Everyone has a favorite metal detector, one that they would never sell, or perhaps one they wish they had never sold. 
I must admit, I feel that way about my Minelab Sovereign and Minelab Excalibur. 
A year ago I made the difficult decision to move on from my Sovereign, mainly because my CTX 3030 is waterproof and even more versatile than my old faithful Sovereign. 
My wife says I talk about my Sovereign like she was an old super model I used to date lol! 
Although I have been tempted to buy another Sovereign, I just could not push the "Buy it now" button because of those two reasons I mentioned.
You may have noticed I still use my Excalibur and I cannot imagine not owning one, unless Minelab brings out another Excalibur in a newer form. 
I look at my CTX 3030 as an advanced discriminating tool, my Excalibur as a work horse , they both have their uses for beach and water hunting. 
One metal detector does not make the other obsolete, so I own and use both, along with a Minelab pulse induction metal detector. 
If you take a look at veteran beach or water hunter's, the one thing you will notice about them is they have used the same metal detector for a long time. 
Many veteran beach and water hunter's are known for finding stuff, and that tells you everything you need to know about their choice of metal detector. 
They are comfortable using them and it takes a special metal detector for them to move away from their old faithful metal detector, but eventually they have to.
It is just too difficult to get older metal detectors repaired, between obsolete parts and finding someone to work on them. 
Now that many metal detector companies are moving towards more versatile multi use metal detectors, 
do you move towards and embrace the new designs, or stay with your old faithful make or model? 
I obviously try new things, I believe you have to move with the times or get left behind. 
Earlier this month I was a guest speaker at a metal detecting event in Orlando Florida,  demonstrating some very versatile metal detectors aimed at the beginner, intermediate user.
The new metal detectors were a huge hit with the crowd, being lightweight and easy to use. 
There were several veteran beach hunters in the crowd and I got a chance to talk to a few of them. 
To my surprise they told me that although they still used their old faithful metal detectors, they had bought newer model metal detectors and were slowly moving on from metal detectors they had used for years. 
It was very reassuring to know I am not the only one who looks at my old faithful metal detector through rose tinted glasses. 




No comments:

Post a Comment