Total Pageviews

Monday, June 2, 2014

Lower your search coil

I saw five other beach hunters already metal detecting on Sunday morning at a local beach, and I still managed to find some large easy to find shallow targets.
It was quite obvious the beach had been "detected" before I arrived, but luckily for me the other beach hunters were not in the habit of keeping their search coils close to the sand.
I am not bragging or making fun of the beach hunters in this blog entry, just pointing out the obvious to readers of the blog that the closer you have your search coil to the sand, the more jewelry you will find.
Every inch you sweep your search coil over the sand is an inch less depth in the sand, maybe the difference between going home with gold or going home empty handed.
When using a 10-inch search coil and sweeping your search coil six inches above the sand, you are probably only detecting down to a depth of four inches.  Most of my best jewelry finds on tourist beaches have come from a depth of about six inches, two inches below the range of a person sweeping their search coil six inches above the ground.
Many of my best Spanish treasure finds have come from deeper layers of sand, if I did not scuff my search coil across the sand, they would never have been recovered. 
Finds like these Spanish military buckles from the 1780s, recovered using no discrimination on the same Treasure Coast beach. 


Get into the habit of lightly scuffing your search coil across the surface of the sand, giving you a chance to detect both shallow and deep targets. 
If you ever follow me onto a beach, I will not be hard to track down because you can see where I have searched. I leave clearly visible search coil sweep lines on the surface of the sand, lines made by the bottom of my search coil.


No comments:

Post a Comment