Total Pageviews

Monday, January 20, 2014

How to sniff out deep gold

Many of the beaches where I live are pounded day and night by other beach and shallow water hunters, but that does not mean there is no gold to be found. 
Heavy competition just means the fresh dropped surface finds are probably gone and you have to work a little harder to find deep gold.
All of these recent gold and platinum bands were found on beaches that are regularly hunted, sometimes heavily! 


Every once in a while I see other beach or shallow water hunters, but not for long, as most of the competition look like they are working towards some other spot down the beach or passing through. 
Not many people I see metal detecting hang around in one place very long, but I do. 
I like to pound an area in full "Rottweiler" mode, especially when I know the site has a productive area. 
There is a time and a place for discrimination, but sometimes you cannot beat hanging around in a known hot spot and pulling every target out of the area. 
This is how I found a 1.2 ounce gold ring recently, taking the surrounding junk targets out of the area and hearing the feint low tone of the gold ring.  
Pounding an area from different angles instead of moving away is the reason why many of the gold and platinum bands in the photo are sitting on top of my CTX 3030 screen. 
In one of my books I wrote a chapter about traveling to out of town beaches, and wasting more time behind the wheel than on the beach detecting.
If you are not careful, you may spend more time walking along the beach than digging targets. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment