Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Game of tones

If you want to have success searching for gold jewelry at heavily hunted beaches you have to rely on target tones to get you to gold before the competition. 
After time spent using a decent metal detector even a novice beach hunter should know the difference between common metal objects detected at the beach, allowing you to "Cherry pick" the targets most likely to be gold.
When I first started using two legendary Minelab metal detectors the Minelab Sovereign and Excalibur I used to play a game of tones jewelry hunting at heavily hunted tourist beaches.
With no VDI screen ferrous or conductive number readouts to influence me, I would try to guess what every metal object was before scooping them up.
It didn't take long before I was guessing the correct ID the majority of time and I decided hunting by ear had many advantages and ultimately rewards at Florida tourist beaches. 
I knew I had truly mastered my Sovereign and Excalibur when I could easily identify the difference between a one cent coin and a 10K gold class ring or a thin gold wedding band and an aluminum ring pull.
With time under my belt relying on target tones instead of target numbers like so many beach hunters do now, I was able to kick serious beach hunting butt on any beach with other people using metal detectors.
I considered every junk target scooped put me one scoop further away from the gold I was searching for, it did not make sense to stop and scoop a detected target I already correctly guessed was not gold.
Instead of spending 8 to 12 long hours a day digging every darn target hoping to get lucky like so many full time beach hunters do, I relied on my choice of metal detector and time spent target testing at the beach, but most of all I relied on my game of tones to find gold sooner rather than later.
If someone told you that a certain metal detector could tell you when your search coil passes over gold you would want to buy that metal detector in a heart beat, well guess what those type of metal detectors do exist if you read the metal detector manual and bother to learn what they are telling you when the search coil passes over metal objects. 
Searching heavily hunted beaches for gold jewelry requires you to work smarter not harder, using target tones to influence your digging decisions.
I have heard all the old school excuses to dig every metal target at the beach, just in case one turns out to be a deep misidentified gold ring or a broken piece of gold jewelry, but in my opinion you cannot worry about targets on the edge of detection range or anomaly targets.
Gold jewelry at busy beaches is lost frequently and often referred to as "Fresh drops" so if a beach is heavily hunted the chances of detecting deeply buried gold are reduced. 
Like I say in my beach treasure hunting books, some of my best finds were relatively shallow targets, recovered buried from 1 to 6 inches of sand. 
The reason I am able to show the gold is because I got to the gold while other beach hunters were wasting time digging obvious clad coins and other junk targets. 
Nothing beats the thrill and satisfaction of knowing you have detected gold before you even dig it up.
Try the game of tones guessing game then wait until you correctly start guessing the shape of metal targets before you dig them up, that will really freak you out lol 


For more tips and tricks to searching heavily hunted beaches check out my beach treasure hunting guides at www.garydrayton.com 






No comments:

Post a Comment