Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Are you seeing the forest?

I am always on the look out for new search areas, beaches, waterways, cliffs and urban areas close to the coast which are ignored by the vast majority of so called beach hunters. 
From time to time I check out the beach & water hunting sections of metal detecting forums, blogs  and Facebook metal detecting groups to remind me why I do what I do. 
I am guaranteed to read beach hunters explaining how they hit the beach two hours before low tide or water hunters saying after rough surf I was finally able to get in the water. 
In my opinion, the same old ways produce the same old results and a heck of a lot of wasted time in-between not doing anything waiting for favorable beach or water hunting conditions.
From driving to a beach, parking and walking on to a beach I am always searching, looking for any opportunity to find something using my twin optical scanners or metal detector.
They say treasure is where you find it, very true as long as you don't drive or walk past it.
There are so many potentially good areas to search on the way or close to the beach if you bother to stop and search them.
I have become so accustomed to stopping and searching areas just off the beach that I carry inland specific detecting equipment and recovery tools in my vehicle just in case I see an opportunity. 
Sometimes I don't make it on to the beach, even though I left the house to go beach or water hunting, if I see an opportunity on the way or close to the parking lot Im all over it like white on rice.
I couldn't imagine waiting for a magical two hours before low tide starting time or not going to the beach to search because I only hunt in the water and the waves are too high.
Driving or walking past perfectly good metal detecting opportunities close to the beach is something else I can't imagine ever happening.
One sandy "Tot lot" better known as a beachside children's play area coughed up five pieces of gold jewelry in less than an hour on a recent beach hunt, in true Scooby doo fashion I would have gotten away with more if it was't for those pesky kids showing up. 
Ive also had my fair share of amazing coins, jewelry and artifacts from areas cleared for beachside construction projects.
More examples of coming away with gold while other beach and water hunters have the same groundhog type metal detecting days.
You'd be surprised just how much history people do not even know exists in areas when you get lucky just off the beach proper, another advantage to not showing all your cards (Posting finds) is nobody knows about the area except for you.
Just another way you can find coins, jewelry and artifacts on a regular basis when other beach or water hunters just see the trees.
Are you seeing the forest for the trees or passing golden opportunities like everyone else. 
For more coastal coin, jewelry and artifact hunting tips check out my beach treasure hunting specific books at www.garydrayton.com








No comments:

Post a Comment