Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 29, 2020

Top pocket show and tell

One of the perks of metal detecting is you get to recover some pretty amazing top pocket finds, especially when you know how to read the the ground you are covering and you have intimate knowledge of the sites you are searching.
Recovering a very good find is the ultimate rush for a beach hunter who searches for old coins and artifacts at shipwreck beaches or modern jewelry on tourist beaches, I am fortunate to have experienced the thrill of recovering all of the above. 
From over three and sometimes four hundred year old Spanish treasure to modern designer jewelry, I recovered and posted many a top pocket find in the past.
News of a good find or finds spread quickly, sometimes in the local mullet wrapper or nowadays online shared by both metal detecting and non metal detecting related groups and bloggers.
If you are happy and proud you found it why not show it right? I know that was my first reaction back in the day reaping the rewards for my hardcore beach and water hunting ways. 
Over time I realized posting extremely good finds came with a price, an inbox full of "Would like to partner up" and "Where did you find" messages and negative green eyed monster stuff on metal detecting forums.
Getting followed to various places several years ago put paid to my posting recent finds on social media, although I did have fun seeing beach hunters behind me in the fast food drive thru and girls local ice rink at 6am lol
Posting or sharing spectacular top pocket finds including the recovery location is another issue, you run the risk of self made competition the next time you search the same site.
Your shared top pocket find photo may be used by a local blogger or metal detecting group to not only promote their site, but to also draw more attention to you and the recovery area.
What a novice or experienced beach or water hunter has to decide is the sheer excitement of the top pocket find recovery really worth the heat?
I have experienced both sides of the coin no pun intended and I am in a unique position where some top pocket finds are actually seen on TV treasure hunting shows so I do not have to post or share them.
But... the lack of recently recovered finds on my social media sites should tell you were I stand on sharing and posting top pocket finds. 
For every person showing and telling, you can be darn sure there are just as many more grinding for top pocket finds, recovering more spectacular top pocket finds and keeping their top pockets and treasure hunting lips fully zipped!
Perhaps you'll see a few of those spectacular top pocket finds on this site in the future, just saying? 










No comments:

Post a Comment