Total Pageviews

Monday, February 24, 2020

Are you missing valuable finds?

When I get asked about different types of metal detectors and search coils, questions are usually followed by Im afraid I will or could be missing things.
In my opinion a metal detectorist should never be concerned with what they cannot detect, just what they can detect within the limits of the metal detector / search coil combination they are using.
You could say Im an average metal detecting guy because I play the percentages when I go metal detecting, I know the capabilities of the equipment I use and search accordingly.
Making sure you detect every good target within metal detection range of the equipment you use in your allotted metal detecting time makes perfect treasure hunting sense to me.
This years metal detecting adventures have started out fantastic, if I was any luckier Id have to be twins!
I put the reasons for this years fast start down to the decision to use the things I have relied on the most, eyeballs, ears and trusted metal detector combo. 
Knowing what to look for and trusting in your favorite metal detector pays off, especially when you only have a certain amount of treasure hunting time at a chosen site.
Sure there are many good finds just out of reach, but an inch may as well be a mile in metal detecting so don't worry about things outside of metal detection range.
When I return home empty handed it is because there wasn't anything I was searching for within detection range at that site.
Im not going to blame my metal detector or choice of search coil if I return home empty handed, because they always do what I expect of them.
If you are on the market for a different metal detector or search coil because you believe you are just missing what you are searching for, you are probably going to be disappointed with the next equipment you buy.
From experience I can tell you almost all the best things you can detect at a beach come from less than average depths and from less than ideal beach conditions.
A change in tides can help you recover a find of a lifetime, that miss by a mile analogy I mentioned earlier is oh so sweet when reversed, all it takes is an inch less sand to turn a beach hunting frown into a smile.
Keep your eyes on the ground, coil to the sand and listen to what your metal detector is telling you it has detected under the search coil you are sweeping.
Don't worry about what you are missing at the beach, have fun digging what you are capable of detecting or seeing on the surface. 
Within metal detecting range and within eyesight are the only things Im interesting in recovering at the beach, the stuff out of my control can stay there for another beach hunting day. 
  



  







No comments:

Post a Comment