Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 7, 2019

The "Eyes" have it this weekend

Metal detectors are very much like cars, you can own a Ferrari or a Kia but they both do the same thing getting you from point A to point B.
"Influencers" will always tout the latest and greatest metal detectors as the reason why they found something good, but in reality you can find what you are searching for no matter what metal detector you use.
I look at a metal detector as a tool, a piece of equipment that is only as good as the sites I take it to and use it at.
I don't find what I am searching for because of the metal detector, I find what I am searching for because of site selection and site reading skills.
Don't get me wrong I always prefer to use metal detectors with a Minelab logo on them, but that is because I know they are the best at detecting small silver and gold at sites I use them at.
When I can detect and recover small pieces of silver and gold I know darn well I can detect and recover big pieces of silver and gold. 
Towards the end of 2019 I intend to post a few of those big gold and silver finds, the rewards of knowing how to select, read and plunder sites.
Im still very much all eyes when it comes to metal detecting, instead of walking around for hours on end hoping a new metal detector will change my fortunes. 
A new metal detector search coil has more chance of increasing your odds of recovering what you are searching for than a new metal detector most of the time, especially when you know why you are using a different size search coil.
Site selection and site reading skills are the keys to treasure hunting success no matter what you are search for or what metal detector you take to help you detect what you hope to recover.
As I type this blog I guarantee if I went to my local beaches I would see the same people searching the same place they search every weekend, but using different metal detectors lol 
No matter what the beach conditions, some people search the same place every time they go metal detecting because they or someone they know about found something there previously.
The new metal detector will not make a difference to a ground hog day treasure hunter, but a change of site or search area can and will make a difference.
My eyes tell me where and how to search an area, lessons learned from taking note of my surroundings and situational awareness. 
When I recover something good I am searching for I want to know why I recovered it, taking note of the area and area conditions, evaluating the condition of the object and assessing the potential for more of the same type of recoveries in the surrounding area.
This is important if you have to search the same general areas, you have to know why you found something in an area you have previously searched, why was the object detectable now but not before?
Nine times out of ten your success has more to do with site conditions or search technique, followed by your choice of search coil not metal detector.
I know exactly where I will be searching this weekend thanks to my twin optical scanners (Eyes) and an amazing invention, the camera! 
I simply checked out a few beach cams and saw things at one beach that tell me I have an above average chance of detecting what I am searching for.
The eyes have it if you know what you are searching for, I'll probably take my 15 year old Minelab Excalibur with me to help me detect what I know is likely waiting to be detected.
Choose a site for a reason, look for areas possibly holding what you hope to detect at that site and potentially go home with what you are searching for.
There is a lot of looking and learning from recoveries involved in metal detecting, rely on look instead of luck!




 available at www.garydrayton.com





No comments:

Post a Comment