Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 22, 2019

Spanish treasure

Don't get me wrong I really like finding expensive jewelry at tourist beaches, but my favorite thing to do is pound the Treasure coast of Florida searching for Spanish treasure.
For anyone not familiar with the Treasure Coast, the area got its name because of the Spanish treasure fleet that wrecked along the coast in a hurricane over three hundred years ago in 1715.
Many of the wreck locations just off shore are well known, but there are also several other older Spanish galleons that wrecked along the coast covering the beaches in gold, silver and precious jewels.
The best time to search for Spanish treasure is any day and any hour you fancy heading to the beach with a metal detector, although the majority of would be Spanish treasure hunters wait for favorable conditions.
Recent strong winds and high surf have been hitting the Treasure Coast, potentially putting Spanish treasure on the beach or flushing treasure out of eroding dunes.
The majority of would be treasure hunters I have met recently told me the same thing, its  sanded-in and not worth searching yet, being the pirate I am I agree whole heartedly!
Mr positivity is not going to be put off by a lack of cuts (erosion) at Treasure Coast beaches, I don't need anyones beach ratings to tell me if its worth going metal detecting on the Treasure Coast.
In my opinion there is always something to find somewhere if you grab your metal detector and step outside the beach hunting box 
You are not going to find anything if you are not out there searching for it or as I like to say if you don't go you'll never know.
Sanded-in beach conditions mean you simply have to work smarter not harder and of course get out there to give yourself a chance to recover your find of a lifetime.
Here are a few cool saves from a recent Treasure Coast beach hunt, a large late 1600s early 1700s gold band, a heavy silver pestle, rat tail spoon handle and the base of a Chinese K'ang hsi cup.





I also recovered several musket balls, and a couple of musket flint holders, Spanish treasure hunting using the Minelab CTX 3030 and my eyes! 
I cannot stress how important it is to just rely on your gut feeling and get out there, waiting around for second hand beach reports and day or two old photos of beaches on blogs and detecting sites just means you missed an opportunity.
You will not get any day or two old beach reports from me, just photos of treasure finds and sound advice from someone who walks the walk. 
When the wind is a blowing and the surf is crashing, beaches get arranged and what you searching for is often put within reach if you know your local beaches. 
Site and beach reading skills pay off big time when you search where other people can't be bothered to search.
I will end todays blog with a question to my fellow Spanish treasure beach hunters, are you looking for cuts on the beach or Spanish treasure?

                           


 Available on my website at www.garydrayton.com



No comments:

Post a Comment