Total Pageviews

Friday, December 8, 2017

Traveling to metal detect tips

I have been a road warrior this year, spending a lot of time metal detecting in different countries and packing my metal detector for a total of twenty flights. 
As you would expect, I learned the pros and cons of the metal detecting equipment I took with me. 
Not only the metal detecting equipment, but the clothes, boots and rain gear I took to metal detect in.
I would fit in nicely on Noah's ark as I took two of everything which in my opinion is always the safe thing to do. 
The Minelab metal detectors I use are very travel friendly and I take two search coils for each of the two metal detectors I travel with.
I still prefer to put the actual control box guts in my carry on baggage along with manuals so the security screeners can see what they are. 
All my batteries I put in checked baggage along with my Lesche digging tool, pin-pointer and bottle of rum, hey a pirate has to take a little grog when traveling abroad. 
I wear my heavy boots for traveling in and keep my lighter boots in my suitcase, along with two sets of lightweight Columbia rain suits.
If I am going to be land hunting I buy a spade when I get to where I am traveling to, if Im going to be beach or water hunting I take a lightweight two piece aluminum travel scoop.
I take the stock rechargable metal detector battery and charger along with a metal detector battery pod that takes throw away batteries, two different sets for each metal detector I travel with.
A few things I take just in case, are a small roll of duck tape, extra search coil bolts, lower detector shaft, arm cuff straps and a multi tool, but remember to put it in your checked bag.
The clothing side is easy, I keep an eye on the weather predictions for the place Im traveling to and I take cold and warm climate gear just in case because weather forecasts stink no matter where you travel to. 
Bug spray, sunscreen and emergency medical kit round out the traveling to detect stuff, any other emergency see earlier note on bottle of rum. 
The main lesson learned this year is to not cheap out and check two bags, divide your metal detecting equipment, target recovery tools and clothes between two bags just in case you have a bag go missing.
If you have to run to catch a flight, you can bet your suitcase did not run as fast as you did! 
Pack lightweight versatile metal detecting equipment and good outdoor type clothing.
Im big into moisture wicking and thermal shirts, convertible pants and waterproof boots.
Traveling to detect is fun when you are prepared for the little stuff to go wrong, even something as simple as having that second set of rain gear or boots so you don't have to detect in the damp stuff that did not dry out in time. 
Safe travels and stay lucky my friends.











No comments:

Post a Comment