Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Keep your eyes on the beach

Although I often use a metal detector with a display screen, I hardly ever watch the screen when I am metal detecting at the beach.
Old habits die hard, Im a listener and a watcher when it comes to searching on the beach and inside the water.
The more beach and water hunters rely on metal detector screen readouts, the more good things they are likely to walk straight over. 
I still see people worried about this or that set of numbers, where a target falls on the screen etc, and I think to myself why is it so important?
Why must a target have to fall into a certain bracket or be a certain number, in true Jack Sparrow fashion I look at read outs on metal detector screens as more like a set of guidelines.
No matter if I am searching for modern jewelry or old coins and artifacts, I just refer to readouts on a metal detector display screen as good second opinions.
My eyes are glued to the beach, not my metal detector display screen because I do not want to miss out on one of the real joys of beach combing, seeing something good washed up on the sand.
The same applies to water hunting, I try to eyeball things inside the water, not on my display screen.
These 300 year old pieces of Spanish silver and pewter plate were detected by my "Twin optical scanners" washed up in the high tide line on the Treasure Coast of florida. 


Another beach hunter with a Minelab Explorer was searching in front of me at the Spanish 1715 fleet wreck site, probably watching the display screen instead of the sand being walked over.
I have found way too many pieces of jewelry, paper money, designer sunglasses and old shipwreck artifacts to ever watch anything other than the ground I am covering. 



No comments:

Post a Comment