Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Look around the whole beach

To answer a question from Paul in New York, sanded-in conditions do not have to ruin your beach hunting plans.
When people tell me they have not found anything in ages because of sanded-in conditions, I know they probably only search the lower beach.
If you restrict yourself by only searching along the lower beach at low tide, you will go home disappointed far more times than a person who has not excluded searching other areas of the beach. 
Assuming the only place people lose jewelry and coins is in a straight line on the lower beach, is not a good beach jewelry hunting strategy. 
It is one of those out dated search techniques still passed around on the forums, like showing up at the beach two hours before low tide.
There is a good reason why I rarely go home empty handed from the beach, I do not "Box hunt."
I search above the high tide line, beach entrances, volleyball courts, around concession stand, water sports rental areas, and anywhere else someone may lose something good.
You can learn a lot about beach jewelry hunting by hanging out at the beach without a metal detector, as I sometimes do with my family.
I watch people take jewelry off mid beach before going swimming and people near the beach entrance rearrange heavy loads and kids they carry on and off the beach.
I also watch people pulling hands out of pockets to pay people, the very same pockets jewelry and watches are put in for safe keeping. 
Sometimes a sudden rain shower has everyone quickly scooping up towels and items of clothing as they race towards beach entrances, pulling car keys out of pockets. 
I watch people diving around on the upper beach playing volleyball or soccer, throwing frisbees and footballs to each other.
Most of all I observe potential ways jewelry is lost all over the beach, not just in one area. 
Run that by me again, the best time and place to go jewelry hunting is two hours before low tide on the lower beach? 

No comments:

Post a Comment