Total Pageviews

Friday, February 6, 2015

Local beach knowledge

When you understand how high wind and waves effect your local beaches, you can be "Johnny on the spot" when beach erosion occurs. 
Beaches that run at different angles along a coastline, will be effected differently by high wind and waves hitting them from different directions. 
Once you figure out what causes sand to be stripped from your local beaches, you can be prepared the next time the local weather forecast calls for more of the same. 
If you wait to see photos of cut beaches on detecting forums,  or read beach condition blogs or reports, you have already missed the treasure boat.  
Second hand reports of eroded beaches, lead to feelings of what could have been, if only I had searched the place after the erosion had first taken place. 
I prefer to leave as little to chance as possible when the local weather forecast calls for high wind and waves at the beach. 
A quick check of the wind speed, wind direction, surf height and surf direction, allow me to narrow down my search to local areas that are likely to cut. 
Notice I dont say jump in my vehicle and spend hours on the road chasing other local beach hunters loot. 
I maximize my detecting time, spending more time on the beach metal detecting, instead of behind a steering wheel driving. 
These silver coins were found at a local beach using my Minelab Sovereign and Excalibur back in 2011, after beach erosion had taken place a quarter mile past a tourist beach in an area with history that not many people are aware of.


Between knowledge of how wind and waves effect your local beaches and researching the history of your local beaches, you can be Johnny on the spot more often than the competition. 



No comments:

Post a Comment