Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The three Rs of beach and water hunting


My recent jewelry finds, show that it is still possible to recover jewelry during the sanded in summer months, and in the face of stiff competition.
I cannot say enough about how important it is to know your local beaches, my knowledge of local beaches,  always gives me a fighters chance of finding jewelry or coins when I go metal detecting.
You do not even have to go metal detecting to keep on top of beach conditions on many local beaches, use beach webcams, or just stop and check in on beaches from time to time.
If I am passing a beach, I like to park up for a few minutes to see if the beach has potential. 
You can sometimes observe things that will help you in the future,  similar to how I saw a few interesting spots and made out like a bandit on my last two water hunts. 
One of the sites I recovered gold at was found by accident, I was driving down the beach road and had to stop to allow pedestrians to cross the road at a small beach entrance.
I parked up, walked across the street and found a place that was begging to be searched with a metal detector.
Far too many beach and shallow water hunter's wait for beach or water conditions to change, instead of looking for new beach sites and learning how to read the beach and water.  
Another thing that many beach and water hunter's do, is use the same search mode, they either use discrimination or dig all targets. 
I prefer to make that decision on the site I am about to search, I rarely show up at the beach prepared to stick to one search mode.
When I take my new Minelab SDC 2300 pulse induction metal detector to the beach, I always take my CTX 3030, just in case digging all metal targets is not the best option.
I also never whine about sanded in conditions, the beach or water is how it is and you have to deal with it by having plenty of beach or water hunting options. 
Jewelry and coin hunting on the beach, or in the water, is all about putting yourself in the best situation to succeed. 
I am sure you have heard of the three Ps of treasure hunting, patience, persistence and perseverance. 
Try my three Rs of treasure hunting, research, recon and readiness. 
These and other useful tips for beach and water hunting are in my books, "Hardcore Beach Hunting" and "How To Read The Beach & Water" available on my website at www.garydrayton.com . 

No comments:

Post a Comment