Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Gold the hard way

I went out in the middle of the night on Friday trying to take advantage of a full moon low tide on a local beach.
I figured why not, after finding quite a few pieces of silver jewelry in the wet sand on my previous hunts. 
My strategy was a little different on this night hunt, I normally use a Minelab CTX 3030 or Excalibur to  help me avoid digging ferrous or other junk targets.
This time I took my new waterproof pulse induction metal detector, the Minelab SDC 2300 to dig all targets. 
I planned to hit the water at first light, and see if I could find some gold jewelry on the lower beach at this popular little area.  
Not wanting to be a "Box hunter" I like to mix things up from time to time, so digging all ferrous and non ferrous targets on a tourist beach was a nice change of pace.
These two pieces of14K gold jewelry were my reward for digging a target every sweep of my search coil, sometimes two or three targets per sweep. 


I was hoping to find a gold chain with my new pulse induction metal detector, but it was not to be.  Im pretty sure if my search coil had passed over one I would have detected it. 
After the hard work of digging all targets on the lower beach in the dark, I figured I would have an easier time in the water with my CTX 3030, even though the tide changed fast and the surf was rough.
Maybe I fell into the "Its all in the water" trap" as all I found in the water was two silver rings, a junk chain and a junk ring before calling it quits using minimal discrimination. 
The high amount of non ferrous junk ( pennies) would probably have discouraged other beach hunters from recovering so many of them on the lower beach. 
I really believe the two pieces of gold jewelry were being masked in the carpet of junk targets on the beach. 
It just goes to show how much gold is on the lower beach, and of course what you have to do to find it. 
Being a beach and water hunter, it is not important to me where the gold comes from, as long as I can recover it. 
Maybe if I only water hunted, these two pieces of gold along with many others from the past would still be waiting to be found. 
Trying different search techniques, different metal detectors and search coils, can and often does lead to recovering gold at the beach. 





No comments:

Post a Comment