Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Beach hunting observations and help with beach hunting

Thanks to an unexpected break in work, I took advantage of a nice calm ocean at low tide yesterday morning.
As I searched in the water from chest to shoulder deep, I saw three other people metal detecting on the beach in the same area.
The lower beach and shallow water close to shore was pretty sanded in, but two of the beach hunters were trying to detect in the wet sand and wading into the water.
Two things really stood out as I caught the wet sanders / waders watching me every time I stopped to dig a target out in the water.
1. I was digging targets, they were not digging targets.
It was heavily sanded in along the lower beach, but the two beach hunters were oblivious to the poor lower beach conditions.
Meaning, they probably did not know how to read a beach and move up to the dry sand or deeper water.
2. They were using the wrong equipment.
Small hand sand scoops and non waterproof metal detectors are not a very wise choice for waders or shallow water hunters.
Even on the wet sand, you run the risk of getting hit by a rogue wave and totally ruining your metal detector.
I have mentioned this before, you are a more effective beach hunter when you move into the water or dry sand when the lower beach conditions stink.
A waterproof metal detector and long handled scoop, allows you to enter the water and easily recover targets, without turning your metal detector into an expensive paper weight.
When a metal detector is waterproof, it is a good bet that it can handle mineralized wet sand. 
I doubt the two single frequency VLF metal detectors I saw being used on the wet sand performed very well in that area. 
The third person metal detecting in the upper dry sand was using a waterproof metal detector mounted on a heavy looking shaft, and digging targets with a garden spade. 
I came away from yesterdays water hunt with an idea to generate new clients for my latest metal detecting venture. 

www.garydraytonmetaldetecting.com

Today I will buy a small waterproof case to hold my new business cards, and hand cards out to potential clients I see on the beach. 
I will create competition for myself, but I believe there is more than enough jewelry and coins on the beach for me to still find my share. 
Using the correct treasure hunting equipment on the beach is just as important as learning how to read the beach.
Knowing how to read the beach is useless, if you cannot move and detect a better looking area

No comments:

Post a Comment