Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Traveling to detect tips

Summer is here and because I work on TV treasure hunting shows you can be sure I spend a lot of time on the road traveling to search a wide variety of locations, from islands, deserts and swamps to woods, fields and mountains. 
When I travel to detect I use a simple metal detecting equipment packing strategy, I take lightweight versatile equipment that I know will detect almost anything anywhere I travel to search.
I rely on the law of averages over percentages, meaning I do not take a metal detector or other piece of metal detecting equipment that is known for only doing one thing good. 
For example, I do not just pack one large search coil for ground coverage and deep target detection.
I prefer to take an average size search coil that is good at detecting a wide variety of targets at average depths, good at detecting both small and large targets in a wide variety of ground conditions.
It is more likely I pack a smaller size accessory search coil than a larger search coil because extra large search coils are more site specific than small size search coils.
Even the clothes I wear are suitable for a wide variety of conditions, lightweight long sleeve fishing shirts and convertible cargo style pants that can get wet and dry out out quickly.
If it gets chilly I can wear a T shirt under my fishing shirt or throw on a lightweight fleece jacket.
A light weight easy to roll up and pack rain suit is essential along with lightweight waterproof high top hiking style boots, it is no coincidence I am into lightweight and waterproof gear. 
Metal detector manufacturers in recent years have finally listened to detectorists by coming out with lightweight and well balanced waterproof metal detectors.
Companies realize people in the hobby travel to detect more than ever and we do not want something that only does one thing well, waterproof lightweight and multi use metal detectors are now popular sellers. 
The Minelab Equinox is a perfect example, a little more travel friendly and lighter than the CTX 3030 although with less discrimination bells and whistles.
A pin-pointer is a must have traveling to detect accessory, especially when traveling to detect an area you are unfamiliar with, the same applies to a good finds pouch and small Lesche style digging tool.
I hardly ever take big dig target recovery tools with me unless it is a travel sand scoop, I prefer to buy an inexpensive spade or fork from a local hardware store and leave it behind after I have used it if I have to.
Leaving valuable return journey packing space to take any treasure home with me, assuming I am allowed to take finds home. 
When traveling to detect it is important to know the local metal detecting laws of the places you intend to search before you travel, it is your responsibility to know the rules because you represent the hobby and your fellow detectorists who follow.
If you are traveling by plane familiarize yourself with the airline rules on metal detector batteries, make sure you know what pieces of metal detecting equipment you have to carry on and what pieces you can check onto the aircraft. 
The same applies to cruise ship passengers traveling with metal detecting equipment heading off on metal detecting vacations. 
When traveling to metal detect in my opinion it is best to be prepared for the unexpected as nothing ruins a metal detecting expedition more than Murphys law happening after reaching your travel destination.
I learned a long time ago to always pack a spare metal detector battery / power pack, search coil bolt and arm cuff strap, the main three things that can ruin the best of treasure hunting travel plans.
On the subject of metal detecting equipment and repairs, a Leatherman type multi tool and a small roll of electrical tape come in very handy on the road.
In recent years I never travel with just the one metal detector, my back up metal detector is a valuable insurance policy that I need for my line of work. 
Scrapping or selling metal detecting finds is an excellent way to raise capital to reinvest in the hobby, helping you to have accessory search coils or a back up metal detector. 
Metal detecting really is the hobby that pays for itself when you know what you are doing.
I hope these traveling to metal detect tips help, my new beginners guide to beach hunting will be available next week on my website at www.garydrayton.com with plenty of tips to help you become a proficient beach treasure hunter.
Remember the law of averages when traveling to detect as the odds are higher you will find what you are searching for in the long run where ever you go. 

 


 





No comments:

Post a Comment