Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 21, 2020

Fighting for scraps

I took this photo at one of my favorite heavily hunted beaches because it reminded me of detectorists who flocked to this beach that day, one after another buzzing around trying to get lucky.


The day I took the photo I didn't get lucky but I recovered a nice Spanish treasure coin from the late 1600s, I do not class the recover as lucky because I have previously recovered many similar treasure coins from the exact same area.
The reason I went there was because I have recovered many Spanish treasure coins at this site, not because others have found Spanish treasure coins at this site.
Getting to know a productive site starts with research and putting the hunt in treasure hunt, not waiting around for favorable conditions or hitting a site hoping to get lucky detecting with the beach hunting crowd.
I imagine 90% of detectorists hitting a heavily hunted site are hitting that site because they heard someone got lucky there so they hope to get lucky.  
The other 10% are there because they probably know it is a good site or area from their previous recoveries at that heavily hunted area and they probably do not rely so much on luck.
If you follow "Hearsay" stories the only thing you often end up chasing and finding is your own tail. 
The small percentage of finders find and the majority of hunters keep hunting at sites that see many detectorists.
One way to insure you get on the right side of that treasure hunting equation is to research sites and search a wide variety of sites.
Or you could wait for a blogger or a metal detecting forum member with a lot of posts instead of finds behind their name to tell you when the "Conditions" are favorable to recover what you hope to find. 
Nothing beats knowing why you are searching an area and knowing you are capable of recovering what you are searching for at a wide variety of sites.
This is a much better treasure hunting strategy that will not leave you feeling like you are just searching for left over scraps or hoping to get lucky.
Research, site reading skills and knowing your metal detector manual by heart put you to the front of the pack at heavily hunted sites, especially if you are at those sites as a repeat finder! 
I search some of the most heavily hunted shipwreck and tourist beaches in the world and I try to run a tight ship, pun intended!
I avoid posting or sharing recent finds in all the excitement to avoid giving productive areas away or a repeat of being followed to sites by lazy beach hunters. 
Heavily hunted beaches are some of the least productive beaches in the long run, so I generally avoid searching them unless I have a reason to be there.
Fighting over scraps is not my style, I prefer researching and discovering the next productive site knowing exactly where everyone is going to search given the opportunity to go beach hunting. 
Just like the bees in the photo, you can buzz around with the crowd or you can do your research, become proficient using your metal detector and drink from the well where ever and when ever. 




No comments:

Post a Comment