Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Eroded beach rule number one, take your time.

News of eroded (cut) beaches travels fast, especially on heavily hunted beaches, but that does not mean you have to be the first person searching an eroded beach to find gold.
These twelve pieces of gold jewelry were found three years ago on an eroded Florida beach, with at least a dozen people already searching the beach.


I saw the cut beach on a webcam and drove two hours to go search it, despite knowing people were already metal detecting at the beach. 
I slowly searched along the base of the cut for five hours, covering no more than a quarter mile stretch of tourist beach. 
The surprising thing about that afternoon was just how much gold jewelry I detected along the base of the cut, even though it was pock marked with dug holes left behind by other beach hunters.
I have been in many of these type of situations before and I know that speed kills your chance of detecting anything good.
People always make the mistake of picking up the pace when several people are searching an eroded beach.
They see competition and try to cover too much of the beach before the competition.
A good beach hunting mind set to have is not to be in competition with anyone, have no competition but yourself.
I actually slow down when I see other people metal detecting at the beach, because I have no competition and I am not in a race to detect anything before anyone else.
I have supreme confidence in my beach hunting skills and I am going to detect a site thoroughly, even if it has already been searched by other people. 
In my opinion, when you leave a beach you gave it your best shot, no matter the outcome. 
The only way to give a eroded beach a good shot is by covering the area slowly and methodically, or risk leaving a find of a lifetime behind for another beach hunter who is not in a hurry to cover the whole site. 
Oh and the reason I chose to search along the base of the cut that day, was because I know many people ignore searching close to a cut at low tide, assuming the area has been hammered. 
The second surprising thing about that afternoon was recovering a piece of jewelry with my name on it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment