Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Wet sand beach tests

Recently I conducted some tests in the wet sand with three different metal detectors, the metal detectors used in the wet sand beach tests ranged in price from just over $200.00 to $1200.00.
Soon I will be posting up a video on youtube and Facebook with some of the results of those wet sand beach tests.
On the day I tested the three metal detectors, the lower beaches in Florida had plenty of seaweed washing ashore.
Wet sand and seaweed can make a metal detector chatter like crazy, so the timing of the tests worked out well.
I made sure all three metal detectors were set up similar and had about the same levels of sensitivity and discrimination for the testing, one of those metal detectors I had heard a lot about and was eager to try out. 
Continuing on from my previous blog about the wet sand, it does not matter how much your metal detector costs or how many bells and whistles it has, if it cannot handle the wet sand you are not going to be a successful beach hunter using it. 
If you have to totally dumb down a metal detector just to get it to work smoothly on the lower beach,  you will miss deep targets and difficult to detect shallow targets like gold chains. 
There is a heck of a lot to be said for using a metal detector that runs smoothly in the wet sand.
In my opinion, the main reason why I can recover jewelry following other people metal detecting at heavily hunted Florida tourist beaches is simply because I hear the jewelry and the other person did not. 
I set my metal detector up to suit the conditions presented to me when I walk onto a beach and of course I use a metal detector that does not scream like a banshee on the lower beach.  
One of those metal detectors is the Minelab Excalibur, the other is the CTX 3030, using sensible control settings that allow me to search without constantly stopping to investigate false signals. 
I prefer listening to jewelry and coins, not feedback from the wet sand, saltwater or seaweed. 
When I post the video of the metal detector comparisons, you will see what I mean about the "Beach proving ground" the place where jewelry is detected or easily missed if you do not use the correct equipment. 



No comments:

Post a Comment