Total Pageviews

Friday, August 23, 2013

Level playing fields

I am sure you must have heard the expression "The grass is always greener", I believe this also applies to beach and shallow water treasure hunting.
I very much doubt that local Treasure Coast beach hunter's always discover the best Spanish treasure finds.
People who metal detect on famous tourist beaches do not always find the best jewelry. 
No matter where you live and go treasure hunting, you still have to find the treasure, old or modern.
We are all on a level playing field when it comes to beach and shallow water hunting. 
Nobody knows that better than me, I have to travel long distances to metal detect. 
I have a 5 hour round trip to take on the local Treasure Coast  beach hunter's for Spanish treasure finds.
If I want to duke it out for modern gold jewelry finds on some of the famous tourist beaches in Florida, I have to travel to them.
In my opinion, the best way to level the playing field is to learn how to read the beach and water effectively. 
Followed by using a good metal detector and learning how to use it correctly.
A good tip is to always have a secondary treasure hunting plan 
For instance, when I make the long drive in search of Spanish treasure coins, I always plan to search for modern jewelry on the way home. 
Some of my best diamond rings have been consolation finds after getting skunked searching for old finds.
When I drive any distance to go modern jewelry hunting, I rely on my secondary sites if my intended first choice of beach is being heavily hunted or targets are few and far between.
Seasoned beach and shallow water hunter's have better luck when traveling to metal detect.
This is another reason why it is important to hone your detecting skills on your local beaches, before traveling to compete against other local beach or shallow water hunter's.




No comments:

Post a Comment