Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 4, 2020

Red, white & blue

On this July 4th what better topic to talk about then freedom and independence, two words that kind of sum up this naturalized US citizens approach to metal detecting and in particularly beach hunting.
When I learned how to use a metal detector back in the day in Jolly old England there were no internet metal detecting forums or social media groups dedicated to metal detecting.
I am not complaining as I learned how to use a metal detector simply by reading the manual and adapting my eyes only site reading skills and search techniques used for years searching for old bottles and clay pipes along river banks in England.
I figured if I can find stuff hidden in mud using my eyeballs, swinging a metal detector relying on my ears and eyes is going to be twice as fun and it certainly was.
My independence from outside influencers and freedom from rigid norms is in my opinion what sets me apart from other beach hunters now, I did not adopt anyone else's treasure hunting style I created my own.
The point of todays beach treasure hunting blog is to make sure you have the freedom to create your own unique style, instead of blindly following experts who are just experts at posting photos of other peoples finds and moaning about sanded-in conditions. 
In my opinion, success at beach treasure hunting is measured in the fun you have on the search and of course the treasure you find along the way, not subscribers and hits. 
The freedom to go anywhere, try new sites and search techniques, without thinking there is always one or two sites you need to go and cover those sites in order to find what you are searching IF the conditions are right.
I say piffle! the more sites you take the time to search the more different search techniques you use and the more you open your eyes, the more you will grow and prosper as a beach treasure hunter. 
The reason why the word "More" was used a lot in the last sentence was because there is always more sites to search and more to find, you will not hear me using sanded-in conditions excuses for not finding what I am searching for.
This 4th of July I am reminded of the words living the American dream which I certainly am, the streets were not paved in gold when I got here, but I found the beaches do have their fair lol  
If you are sitting at home reading this waiting for better site conditions or the magical two hours before low tide to head to the beach with your metal detector, now would be a good time to think about beach hunters like me who find good stuff because you are not out there. 
Here are a few pieces of red, white and blue recovered during "Poor conditions for finding anything" rated beaches by the keyboard experts.
It is a shame the poor beach ratings missed the opportunity to eyeball Spanish 1715 fleet manilla galleon K'hang Hsi dynasty porcelain, 1600s Spanish shipwreck garnets and of course Spanish 1715 fleet emeralds.  



Happy 4th July everyone and please remember my fellow beach treasure hunters, treasure is where you find it but only if you are there!

   www.garydrayton.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment