Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 4, 2020

Jewelry hunting sites away from the beach

Although most people associate searching for jewelry using a metal detector with beaches you may be surprised just how many good jewelry hunting sites are located miles away from the closest beach.
When people find out I am into metal detecting the conversation inevitably leads to a story about something they lost and how they wish they had a metal detector at the time.
It also seems like everyone has lost a piece of jewelry somewhere other than at the beach and the story is never lost on me.
Here are a few of the most popular and interesting sites I have been told people lost their wedding band, favorite bracelet or diamond earrings at.

Inland lakes, ponds and rivers

Show me a lake, pond or river and I will show you a location people told me they lost jewelry at, including boat ramps and boat houses, fishing spots, piers, swimming areas, tubing and rafting areas, tree swing ropes, old mining and logging areas, river crossings and barge locks to name a few.
One site that is often mentioned by people losing gold rings and watches is gas pumping stations on intracoastal waterways, stories ending in I heard a plop tying-up the boat and my ring or watch was gone.
Imagine how many old coins you can also find at all of these inland water sites?

Golf courses

If you have a friend who can get you permission to metal detect at the local golf course when the course is being remodeled or landscaped you could get a gold in one! 
Every time I see a golf course I think of all the stories Ive been told of people losing jewelry driving golf balls, getting on or off golf carts and toting golf bags.
Im not telling you to pull a Carl from the caddy shack movie, but if you know an abandoned golf course grab your metal detector!

Dog parks

So many people lose jewelry at dog parks and for good reason, the little buggars get you picking up poop, throwing, running, jumping and playing with them, all activities that cause people to lose jewelry. 
The older the dog park the more chance you have of finding old fido name tags and old coins too.
You often see lost ring, chain or watch flyers posted outside dog park gates.
If you decide to go thru a mine field of dog poop make sure you know how to use a small trowel to cut a plug in the grass, replace the plug and leave the area looking how you found it.

Gas stations and public restrooms

Every "I took off my expensive diamond ring or watch to pump gas or wash my hands in the restroom" story I have ever heard has never had a happy ending. 
Which is the reason why you will see me checking out the top of the gas pumps whenever I fill my tank and checking out the bathroom sinks when I use a public restroom.
You'll all be doing it now lol 

The local park 

First of all your target recovery skills, plug cutting and replacing cut grass plug skills have to be spot on if you intend top go jewelry hunting at the local park.
Even if you are not digging in grass you still have to leave the place how you found it. 
Most jewelry stories in the local park have to do with people sitting around ball fields or playing with the kids.
Any area of the park where people play with kids is a potential jewelry hunting site, sandy or mulch covered tot lots being some of my favorite areas to test small search coils at. 
The older the park the more chances of recovering old jewelry and coins if you know where to look.
Old photos or post cards of a park are excellent snapshots of the past, perhaps showing concession sites, picnic areas, tree swings, park benches or other places people lost valuables long ago.


  
available at www.garydrayton.com 


















No comments:

Post a Comment