Total Pageviews

Friday, January 24, 2020

Expanding the search

If you've been following this blog for a while you may have already picked up that I do things a little differently to the majority of beach hunters. 
One of those things I do differently is trying new or different sites, you wont catch me going to the same one or two beaches all the time because I actually enjoy trying out new sites.
Id hate to be that guy posting photos of one or two beaches every day and moaning about sanded-in conditions and finds droughts.
You have to try new search areas if you want to recover what you are searching for on a regular basis.
When you avoid going to the same one or two sites you learn a lot more beach and site reading skills because you are  exposed to more metal detecting situations. 
This week I tried three areas I have never searched before, only one had potential and I will keep an eye out for the conditions I believe will allow me to be more successful there.
Today I will try another site Ive passed on my travels but I never stopped to check it out, sometimes you have to go with your gut feeling and I hope it pays off.
'It is so tempting when you have success at one site to keep returning and hoping you find something else, but it is important to understand why you were successful at that site instead of blindly returning in the hope of detecting something else good.
There is always a logical reason why you detected and recovered a find and believe me it is not because you kept blindly hammering away at the same site regardless of the conditions.  
Site reading and searching skills you pick up along the way help you be a more all around beach hunter, especially when you metal detecting time is not confined to only one or two sites. 
Here are a few pieces of lead from a recent treasure coast beach hunt at a site Id never been to before, these type of recoveries tell me I have a chance of detecting old coins and other artifacts in that area.



Hey it beats going to the same site all the regular searchers hit every time they go metal detecting.
You'll never know what is possible unless you expand your searches, you'll get skunked a few times but when you do discover a hot site you have the place all to yourselves.
Having a wide variety of sites to search leads to a wide variety of finds and very full and interesting display cases, something to think about if you are ready to metal detecting this weekend.
   


              Available at www.garydrayton.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment