Total Pageviews

Monday, January 16, 2017

Son of a beach

I have uttered similar words to these after seeing gold chains in my scoop, some of the most difficult targets to detect at the beach and for good reason.
I spend a lot of time answering questions about gold chains from beach and water hunters, they usually start with my metal detector barely detects them, or I have not detected any yet. 
Many beach and water hunters probably expect a two way repeatable signal from a gold chain without a pendant and that rarely happens.
Detecting gold chains at the beach without pendants is tough, no matter what type of metal detector you use. 
Although gold chains get easier to detect when you know what they sound like when your search coil passes over them.
Even big chunky gold chains do not respond very well without pendants, and you are probably detecting the clasp instead of the gold chain.
Remember, even though I am known for using a metal detector with a screen I hunt by ear.
Loading someones program or pattern does not mean jack when your at the beach, I would rather be known for my finds than a program or a pattern. 
If you want to detect gold chains you better not use a lot of discrimination,  the reason I always use bare bones or minimum discrimination on my VLF metal detectors.
Just like using a pulse induction metal detector, sometimes a subtle raising or lowering of the threshold is all the signal you hear from a gold chain, would you stop to detect that? 
Sometimes its a click or subtle one way signal response from a gold chain, would you stop to dig that ?
Diamond rings are another thing many people struggle to detect at the the beach, often there is not a lot of platinum or gold band to detect, the reason they are difficult to detect.
I have recovered a lot of thin platinum and gold bands with nice size diamonds in my time, using several different metal detectors. 
Just like a gold chain without a pendant, thin platinum or gold bands can be difficult to detect on edge, resting next to another target or buried deep on the edge of detection range.
These three diamond rings are a common style of engagement ring, diamonds mounted on a single band of platinum or gold. 


Not one of the diamond rings in the photo was a two way repeatable signal when first detected, I just caught the slightest low tone from one direction on a couple of these recoveries.
This happens when you look for targets to detect, not look for ways to avoid digging targets, by using too much discrimination, shaded out screens or gold programs.
 What Im getting at, is experience under your beach hunting belt tells you something is worth stopping to investigate and dig up.
I remember my old science school teacher used to tell me empty vessels make the most noise, something I often think about when Im beach or water hunting. 
The loudest knock your headphones off signals, usually end up being nickels, dimes quarters, crushed beer cans or other disappointing recoveries.
Crab fart or wait a second insignificant signals, often precede pulling a gold chain or a diamond engagement ring out of your scoop basket.
It is not called metal detecting for nothing, and often your main metal detector is the noggin on your shoulders. 
Relying on your metal detector or gold program is ok,  but I would rather rely on my search techniques, beach hunting skills and ears. 


No comments:

Post a Comment