Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 3, 2016

Tips for searching eroded beaches

Searching eroded beaches after a storm has passed by, can be a great jewelry or coin hunting opportunity if you make the most of the situation.
I always go for shallow easy to detect targets first, at sites I know from previous experience have the potential to be productive. 
In my opinion, it is important to go for shallow targets first because you will have competition as news of eroded beaches travels fast.
I keep my cake hole closed and head directly to any of my favorite jewelry or coin hunting sites that look like they have been hit hard by a storm.
A perfect beach hunting window of opportunity closes quicker than you think, as following high tides move sand back in over an eroded beach. 
I never over extend myself by trying to cover every beach in the area, my storm hunting plan is always in place because I know what directional wind and waves are needed to erode my favorite beach hunting sites.
Count on seeing many other people metal detecting at the beach, and if you believe the shallow stuff has probably been recovered at an eroded beach, you should quickly move on to searching for deeper targets.
After searching a few select sites for shallow easy to detect targets, I search for deep targets at the same sites and other beaches I know have already been picked over by beach hunters.
Eroded beaches are normally very trashy immediately after a coastal storm, which is why I prefer "Cherry picking" when I know I am in the first wave of beach hunters to hit a beach.
I count on the second wave of "Dig it all" beach hunters to clean the beaches of surface clad coins and junk, before grabbing the deep detecting rig and searching beaches for really deep targets. 
A mistake many beach hunters make, is seeing a big cut and immediately searching the same way they always do.
For example, digging every metal target and concentrating on detecting deeply buried targets.
When mother nature just turned the beach upside down and gave you a chance to easily detect stuff that was previously buried under several feet of sand.
These three 18K gold beauties were recovered after hurricane Sandy moved past the Florida coastline back in 2012.
Vintage Cartier diamond and emerald ladies ring, heavy jade and mine cut diamond mans ring from a late 1800s shipwreck ( appraised at nearly $8000.00 ) and an amethyst ladies ring. 

Try to remember to search an eroded beach as it is now, not how it normally is. 







No comments:

Post a Comment