Total Pageviews

Monday, January 5, 2015

Metal detector overload signals

I have found some pretty cool stuff stopping to investigate overload signals on the beach and in the water. 
This old Nova Scotia license plate came out of a hillside on Oak Island this summer, not really treasure but an interesting find. 


I have recovered guns, small boat anchors and even a false leg in the water off tourist beaches in south Florida. 
Some of my best overload signals were on the Treasure Coast of Florida, clumps of iron encrusted ship spikes and even an old split shot used to take out ships rigging in the golden age of piracy. 
I always hope one day an overload signal on the Treasure Coast will turn out to be an encrusted clump of iron with gold and silver treasure coins attached, or a cannon. 
I have read too many success stories in metal detecting magazines to walk past a target giving off a large overload signal not to stop and investigate. 
The main reason why I always like to check out overload signals is because you never know what may be resting close to or underneath large ferrous and non ferrous objects on the beach and in the water. 
If you search the same beaches most of the time, you may be the only person having the treasure hunting sense to move large targets that give off overload signals.
I regular find gold jewelry after moving large ferrous and non ferrous objects on the lower beach and in the water. 
At some of my favorite beach and water hunting sites, I know where most large movable objects are in the area. 
I make a point of moving them around every few months to see if any jewelry has collected in the area and is now being masked. 
Masked being the word when it comes to movable overload targets on the lower beach. 
Both large ferrous and non ferrous targets mask valuable targets, so the next time you walk away from an overload target, think how easy it would have been to stop and move it to look for hidden treasure. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment