Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

In the wrong place at the right time

I like to mix things up when I go beach or shallow water hunting, trying not to be too predictable.
When I post a piece of modern jewelry or an old coin, there is usually a different reason why I was able to recover the object.
Last weeks gold jewelry was recovered because I checked out a beach I had not been to in a while, the old shipwreck finds were recovered the same way.
I prefer to go with the flow, instead of doing the same things all the time and expecting different results like many other beach and water hunters.
The $3200.00 designer Mimi So platinum band in this photo is a good example of going with the flow and seeing what happens.


I recovered this heavy platinum band, a short time after trying to help a tourist from California find her diamond earring.
The lady had me walk several hundred yards to a less used part of the beach to an area she lost the earring.
Unfortunately I could not recover the ear ring because a few tides had passed since she lost it, but the area was interesting and I decided to stay in the water and just see what happened.
The easier and more predictable thing to do would be to return to the busier part of the beach, if I did that the platinum ring would still be waiting to be found.
The Tiffany platinum 1.4 carat diamond ring, was another similar story but one that involved using a different metal detector.
It's no secret that I like to use Minelab metal detectors with discrimination to find jewelry at trashy tourist beaches, but this trophy find was recovered using a Minelab SDC 2300 pulse induction metal detector at a trashy tourist beach.
Using a pulse at a trashy tourist beach would normally not be the best jewelry hunting policy, but after arriving at my intended search site something unexpected happened, the parking lot in the area I had planned to search was closed down for a construction project.
As you can see by the photo, a $10.000.00 Tiffany diamond ring with my name on it was waiting in the water at the next beach down the road.
The nearest alternative site was a beach I normally would not have searched, because I have found so much jewelry at the original beach I had intended to search.
One of the things I really like about metal detecting is the unpredictability of the hobby, the fact that you can find anything almost anywhere. 
What better motivation to try searching new areas, or use a different beach or water hunting technique. 
Sometimes it is good for a beach or shallow water hunter to be in the wrong place at the right time. 





No comments:

Post a Comment