Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Sometimes you have to dig it all

You have to work really hard to find gold on a regular basis on the beach and in the water,  I still have the aches and pains from recovering this pouch full of junk finds from Sunday afternoons low tide water hunt.



Although I found two pieces of gold, the 20 x 100 feet area of rocks way off shore was littered with light and heavy weight junk targets.
My Minelab CTX 3030 allows me to discriminate certain targets if I choose to, but when I run across a target rich area like this patch of offshore rocks I prefer to dig all targets.
In my opinion, when you cannot move your search coil without detecting a target it is time to get stuck in and hope for gold. 
I was surprised only two pieces of gold were trapped in the rocks, but when one is a gold coin I will take it any day of the week and twice on Sundays. 
The number one concern in any target rich area is target masking, so removing as many targets as possible out of the area will help you to recover any gold that is being masked by larger objects in the area. 
All the lead fishing weights on my finds pouch are capable of masking a piece of gold, in fact I found the gold coin after I fanned a clump of crusty pennies and a lead sinker. 
I am sure some beach and shallow water hunters move away from "nuisance" areas with high amounts of targets, but I am not one of them. 
Totally clean out any target rich area you are lucky enough to run across, because you never know what is hidden by target masking or when the last time the area was thoroughly searched. 
There is a time to dig it all and a time for discrimination, more targets usually mean gold is hiding in the area, maybe even a gold escudo!!  




No comments:

Post a Comment