Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 27, 2014

The most productive area of a beach

In my opinion, the most productive area to search on the beach Is always the area you choose to detect after reading the beach. 
I never know if I will be water hunting, wet sanding, or dry sanding until I get to the beach to metal detect. 
I just go with the flow, whatever part of the beach looks the best is the place I try my luck.
My local beaches have been very sanded in, making the water the best place to find jewelry.
I would not hesitate to search the dry sand or wet sand, if I thought both areas were better  places to find jewelry.
Not being a straight line, one dimensional hunter will lead to a wide variety of finds.
This photograph of silver coins and gold jewelry from the 1950s is a perfect example of why you cannot just search one area of the beach, as many wet sanders and water hunters do. 
These finds from the 1950s were all found in the dry sand several days after hurricane Sandy had passed by the Florida coast. 



Other beach and water hunters had searched the lower beach, but only the wet sand and water. 
I went metal detecting over several nights, searching the upper beach and found a pouch full of silver coins and gold jewelry with my CTX 3030. 
Many finds were shallow targets, left behind in previous high tide lines, just waiting for an enterprising dry sander.  I use this strategy when searching for Spanish treasure coins on the Treasure Coast of Florida. 
Just like gold jewelry does not mysteriously fall off people on tourist beaches when they step foot in the wet sand, silver reales do not just wash up and wait for treasure hunters in the wet sand.
The more areas of the beach you make an effort to search, the more coins and jewelry you will find. 
High tides deposit coins and jewelry all over the beach, it does not make treasure hunting sense to search just one area of the beach all the time. 







No comments:

Post a Comment