Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Knowing when to hunt and when to move on

I finally got a chance to go metal detecting this morning,  but I decided it was just too dangerous to continue searching in the water. 
Black clouds were rolling in over the area and my metal detector screeched every time I saw a flash of lightning in the distance. 
No amount of gold jewelry is worth dying for, so I did the wise thing and headed home to fight another day. 
I probably would have changed my beach hunting strategy or moved on anyway, as it was very sanded in and I did not get a signal in the 20 minutes I was in the water opposite a south Florida tourist beach. 
Moving onto the lower or upper beach would have been my next move, if the lightning had not been so close.
A beach hunter that searches all three areas of the beach, the wet sand, dry sand, and water, will be able to adjust and deal with sanded in conditions much better than a beach hunter that only searches one area of the beach. 
No doubt, many people left the beach in a hurry after the rain started.  
This mass exodus of tourists from the beach during a rain storm is often an excellent opportunity to recover good targets in the dry sand. 
That is of course, if you are not a " box hunter," a person who only searches on one area of the beach.  
Using a metal detector with discrimination, allows you to be a more versatile beach hunter. 
I doubt a pulse induction metal detector user could move up onto the beach in the dry sand and be effective. 
The same applies to people who reverse hunt on the wet sand, and use perfectly good discriminating metal detectors in an all metals search mode. 
Time spent switching from an all metals search mode to a discrimination mode, in a high trash environment like the dry sand is wasted metal detecting time. 
Even a stormy cloud may have a silver, or gold lining for a beach hunter that metal detects on all areas of the beach using a good discriminating metal detector. 



No comments:

Post a Comment